a journey like no other….

I can’t remember a time when I did not weigh more than I should have. Even as a small child, I remember not quite being like the other kids, and as I got older I began to realize that my place in the world took up more space than most.

I was a happy kid. I had parents who loved me very much but as with most families not everything was as it seemed from the outside. The things that propelled my weight into severe morbid obesity by the age of 15 still lurk in the dark corners like a ghost you are sure you will see if you just stand still long enough. No one gets to be over 600lbs and can really say they are shocked about it. If they are, they are lying.  The weight is always there, tapping at my shoulder, poking at my side, that repetitive flick on the arm, a constant reminder that food and weight rule my world. I managed to lose over 250lbs about 10 years ago and for the most part have kept it off. While it was life changing, I still walk through life as a morbidly obese person.

As I go through the next year with hope, excitement, and fear of embracing the challenge to lose 100lbs, I will be sharing the stories both in humor and devastation that have led me to where I am today.  I’m in a place I refuse to stand in any longer. I want desperately to move forward. I do that for myself foremost but also for the dogs who mean so much to me that I hope to help on this journey.

You will hear a lot about the dogs: who they are, how they found me and the impact they have had on my life. I hope they will inspire you as much as they have inspired me.

My goal is to lose 100lbs in one year. My challenge to you if you are so inclined, inspired, or feel at all connected to this project is that you will consider donating one dollar (or any amount you wish) to Recycled Doggies for each pound I lose. I will blog every day. I will be accountable to the blog, the dogs, and to myself each day good or bad for the choices I make. I will fail at times, but that too will be part of my path to find a way to do things differently than I have in the past.

The dogs and my work with “Recycled Doggies” have inspired me to be the change I want to see in myself and the world around me.  I am hopeful that this journey will inspire you to make changes for the things that mean the most to you in big or small ways.

Thank you in advance for everyone who has already shown me so much love and support.

xo – Lori

1. Tina says:

This is great Lori! I wish you the best of luck!! If you ever need a workout buddy, I’m always here!

2. ellieG says:

Hi Lori,

You are opening eyes to more than just the plight of these pups and your own issues with weight. Much as you were born with traights that have always nudged you to be overweight, I was lucky enough to be born with the opposite traights, and have always been borderline underweight.

I admit I use my weight everytime I’m in public to make myself feel better in comparison to others. I am 35, married, with no children. When coming in contact with women in public, I flash my ring and make sure they see a married thin person, while I immenate thoughts of, “ha, I’m married and didn’t let myself go”. IN REALITY, I’m using my weight to cover up the fact that I’m so very jealous/wantan of these mothers, be they short, tall, thin, thick, because they have the fmaily which I desperately want and now seems may never come to fruition. It seems I am a skinny unhappy bitch.

I suppose the delusion is that if I can be perfect on the outside, no one will see the inside unhappiness. I am the person who never runs errands unless fully coifed and put together; I prefer others to notice the outside rather than the inside.

The purpose of all this rambling is to let you know one brief entry in your blog has opened my eyes a bit. Much like I was born with a certain body type, obese folks were most likely born with another. They are not lesser than, and I certainly am not better than. Seems like we’re all hiding behind the outside, while the inside is the one which needs help.

I wish you and the furbabies the very best on this journey, and can’t wait to follow along. I also am excited about the new recipes to try! You truly have a gift of speaking from the heart and putting into words what many others are unable to express.

Hi Ellie,

Your honesty has opened my eyes to the fact that this can be so much more than about the weight or even the dogs. I think there is a lot to be said for having an honest, safe place to lay it all down…without judgement.

Your pain and my pain comes from the same place, not on my fat thigh and not from your skinny waist…. but from inside. I have been out in public especially when I was 600lbs and wanted nothing more than to fit into a booth at a restaurant, to wear REAL jeans with no elastic, to walk down the street and not have people gawk, stare or hum the theme song of a local pizza place. When I lost the initial 250 lbs I had a new lease on life…but soon realized like you mentioned the pain was inside. I had never dealt with the reason I became so big. It is taking the very hard look inside that has set me on the road to be free from the weight and the pain the weight has caused in my life. I am so sorry for your pain, and I will send healing thoughts your way and know that if we can all look beyond the physical that there is beauty to be found. Thank you for writing this, I know this sounds odd but it’s a true gift and I am so glad you will be following along.

3. Allison in E ON says:

Lori – Congrats on launching this Big Journey – and for such a good cause! Well – actually TWO great causes: your own health and the dogs’ futures. I am embarking on my own weight-loss journey (need to lose about 80 lbs) … not sure I have the courage or confidence to do it in such a public way. Tho the accountability would be hard to escape!

Will follow you and cheer you on from Canada.

Best wishes …

Allison

Hi Allison,

First off, love Canada! Thank you for you kind words. Come along with me on the journey, you don’t need a website but my hope is there can be a safe place to talk about the hard things and if I can talk about my struggles maybe they won’t be so hard for others and we can all find support we need. Thank you for following me and supporting me!!

4. John Simpson says:

I can hear your voice in the words you have written. Here’s wishing you all the best on your journey.

5. Kristin Orr Henderson says:

Lori,
    You are amazing, brave and an inspiration!!! I am eager to support you and accompany you on this incredible journey.
    xo, Kristin