one slice…..

I had no idea what I would write about today, I was headed over to my friend Shannon’s new house to help paint this morning and was very grateful to have something physical to do.

We ordered pizza for lunch, and I made the decision to have one slice, I didn’t know if I could do it or not. Shannon being very supportive had asked if there was something else we should get or if I wanted a salad. I thought about it a second and I said out loud to her, No, pizza is great, I will have one slice. Sweet Jesus how many times have I said that before? How many times have I promised myself I would only have one and eaten five? As many times as Larry King has been married, times 10…that’s how many.
But I realized since I said it out loud and especially to someone who is supporting what I am doing and cares, it was a done deal. I picked my slice carefully, eyeing the pie finally choosing the corner slice with crusty goodness and gooey cheese. I ate it slowly, chewing slowly and really enjoying it. I didn’t even contemplate another piece….I reached for the beautiful grapes that were brought out with the pizza. When I had my fill of grapes, I was done. It may seem silly, and it will never be important to anyone but me…but the little things are what will make the difference when I step on the scale next time.

We painted, we laughed and we said goodbye to one of our rescue dog’s today. “Minnie” was rescued by Recycled Doggies after being left in a “drop box” at a local shelter. She was old, blind, and had health issues. She would not make it out of the shelter alive if not for Recycled Doggies and the unconditional love they offer to dogs that seem to simply be disguarded as if an old sofa or coffee maker that is of no use to someone anymore. Minnie was able to live out her final days safe, in a warm bed, with cuddles, kisses and so, so much love from her foster mom. Yet again I am reminded why I am so inspired by the work they do.

I am grateful today for one slice of pizza, one sweet dog who is now at the rainbow bridge and one dear friend who gets to start a new chapter in a wonderful new house that will be a safe haven for so many dogs.

1. Taunja says:

Lori,

I just want to say that I know you’ve lost a significant amount of weight already, and I am so impressed! I myself have lost over 40 lbs. in the last couple of years, and I know how important it can be to say yes to less, so to speak. I also know how difficult it is because I also face that challenge.

As to the blind dog dumped at the shelter, sometimes all we can say is that we have made a difference in some individual animals’ lives and that, to those animals, it means everything. I have never understood how anyone can discard a sweet, helpless animal when that animal needs that person the most. But some of those animals do end up lucky because of animal rescue groups like Recycled Doggies and STAF, among others.

Hi Taunja!

Thanks for the note and the support! I really appreciate the support and kind words. Congrats on the 40lbs, that is awesome. I too am at a loss for when it comes to abandoning a pet when they need you the most or for families to send animals away if their person becomes ill or passes away. Such little regard for something that person loved so much! We love as many as we can, that is for sure!!

2. dogl2324 says:

Thanks Rachel! I had fun painting and on our Lowe’s adventures! 🙂 I glad we were all together when minnie passed and she can watch over Shannon and the house and all the other doggies that will be spending time there! How was your time with the sweet boy?

• Rachel says:

It was good. He jumped around with happiness when I opened the door, then intently sniffed out Zoey’s scent on my clothes, then snuggled up with me on the couch, wriggling around against me wagging his tail. My favorite times for sure : ) It almost makes it worth going a few days without seeing him to then see the extra burst of joy and know he really missed me too. Almost!!

3. Rachel says:

I was very proud of you today! Especially because you definitely could have eaten another slice and burned it off digging! It’ll just mean greater results for you. Despite sweet Minnie passing, I think today was a good day.

4. dogl2324 says:

I reposted and hope that he is found safe very soon! Thanks Bob for reading, responding and keeping me in line! xo

5. Bob says:

I saw that Minnie passed today as well and was sad. Check out my post of hte missing dog in Latonia and share as well. Once we verbalize something, I am only eating one piece of pizza, I am going to change jobs, I need to save money we become empowered. Awesome job today!