food tricks….

So if you know me, you know that I am a total “foodie” I do some personal chef work on the side when time allows me to do so and I love cooking a lot. I am not into a lot of processed foods and by no means have the “Hungry Girl” theory of cramming in a bunch of processed, fat free, sugar free, chemical-paloza, wanna be food into my body and say it’s good for me!  Drives me nuts!

Here are some things I have found work for me….

* Make your own granola…it is so easy and you can control what goes into it! I use about 4 cups of oats, 1 cup wheat germ, almonds, 1/2 cup sesame seeds, sometimes dried fruit, like apricots, blueberries or cherries and then mix 1/3 cup olive oil , 1/3 cup of water and 1/3 cup of honey , 1 tsp cinnamon, 2 tbs *real vanilla extract, a little bit of salt, not much maybe 1/2 tsp….mix the dry ingredients then mix in wet ingredients spread on a baking sheet and bake at 300 degrees for about 30 minuets stiring every 10 minuets or so…..let it cool, break it up and you have a great snack or a wonderful topping to yogurt and fruit.

*remember when you mother said drink your ovaltine….well when I am craving a milkshake this is what I do….one cup of 1% milk (90 calories) + 4tbs of Chocolate Malt Ovaltine (80) calories mix well into milk and freeze it till it’s almost frozen but not quite….a good treat for under 200 calories. While Ovaltine has some sugar it is much much less than if I were to actually have a small full fat malt!

*Edamame hummus- it is so so good and so good for you not to mention easy!  One cup of shelled edamame steamed, into the blender with, juice and zest of one lemon, one clove of garlic, 2 tbs of olive oil. Blend till smooth and adjust with grey salt and cracked pepper…it’s great with sliced Jicama, baked pita crisps, or even as a spread on sandwiches and fish or chicken.

* I am not a soda drinker but I love sweet tea, I do not drink it with meals anymore. I only drink water with meals, but if I have sweet tea I put it in a small glass with crushed ice and a wedge of orange….and I enjoy it as if it were a cocktail. That was I don’t drink a ton of calories washing down my food but still get to enjoy a small glass when I am craving it.

What are some  favorite healthy “tricks” that work for you?

Today was day 7 …..only 358 more to go!

Lori

1. Marina says:

You have really interesting blog, keep up posting such informative posts!

Hey Lori,
    Sorry I didn’t stop by last night, but I was home really late after the info evening at my kid’s school. It was close to 11 pm before I got here.

I wish I could do that, but I’m a lousy cook. I always cook the simple, “normal” stuff and even then, I take the easy way out, using frozen veggies and not fresh ones. I’m not much of an “exotic” eater either, especially not with my kid (he’s horrible when it come to eating, no matter what it is, he’ll find a reason not to want to eat it, except for pancakes and pasta).

I’ll have to look up what granola is exactly (‘xcuse the ignorance, but I don’t usually talk about food in English) and I might try your recipe. Sounds yummy enough.

Keep up the good work!!

Love,
    Moody.

3. John Simpson says:

Happens every time I read about your food creations…hungry now..must have GRANOLA!

4. Mary Nauyoks says:

Lori, why don’t you just make LOTS of granola, bring to the shelter conference or the adoption event and sell it by the bag? I’m hitching a ride on your shirt tails woman, you have the momentum going and I am going to do what I have been giving lip service to for 2 years – going to lose 50 lbs – say 6 months? Looking forward to Sat.

Yay Mary! Awesome! We can keep an eye on each other! Hmm Maybe I will think about selling some at the adoption events…I’ll ask Shannon. 🙂
      Can’t wait to see you tomorrow!

5. Jessica Krogman says:

Fruit smoothies are easy to make in a blender. Since I am in the car most of the day for work, I keep healthy snack bars and granola in my car so I am not tempted to pick
    up something unhealthy while I’m on the road.