People have the power to make your heart soar like a rocket ship headed straight into great expectations, but they can also be the sole thing that crushes you like a disguarded peanut shell on a dirty bar room floor.

Someone I had never met contacted me for help yesterday regarding a woman and her beloved dog. The woman is currently homeless but will not give up her dog to the shelter knowing the reality of his fate, she can not fathom betraying her best friend, her lifeline, her everything.  She can’t stay in a shelter because they will not allow her to bring him along. Not helpful.

They sleep in the cold huddled together in blankets surrounded by brick, concrete and the uncertainly of what the night may hold. It was simple really someone without judging made the decision to not look away and walk on by without acknowledging that someone needed help. A woman and her dog needed someone, anyone to notice, to ask, and to  offer a little help. We are so quick to judge (drug addict), so quick to assume (get a job like the rest of us) and I am just as guilty as anyone of dismissing (stop looking for a handout)  the people I see on the streets as stereotypes selecting a reason from the standard list we would like to think paints an accurate picture of people. Not helpful.

Today a few folks  made a big difference in a woman’s life. A huge thank you to Richard who rallied the troops and thanks to a group of people who pitched in, our new friend was able to get meds for her dog “Lucky” (thank you to my rock star vet connection and staff!) She is getting help from a woman’s abuse shelter and there is a safe place for Lucky to be while she gets on her feet again with the hope they will be reunited soon. Tonight it is snowing and colder than it has been all winter, I can’t imagine spending the night out in the bitter cold.  Have our efforts changed the world? In the eyes of one woman who loves her dog, I would say yes.

My lens of life is changing, my priorities are shifting and the insignificant world of day in and day out daily daytime worries are slowing losing the fight for my need to do more and observe less. It’s time to stand and deliver.

Deadlines, timelines, goals, budgets…they all matter less and less….plus we never make them anyway. Not helpful.

“Use your time wisely. Every moment produce beautiful thoughts, loving, kindness, forgiveness. Say beautiful things, inspire, forgive, act physically to protect and help.”
Thich Nhat Hanh

1. Jill says:

Souch a touching story. Lori, you are connected to some wonderful people. Also loved your fb post about Tristan today.
    Cherie, where are you located? I’m curious if there are shelters in southwest OH that will accept pets. Where could I find out?

Thanks Jill! I feel very blessed for all that enter my world and open my eyes to see things differently. I think to be able to see the world through someone else’s eyes can be life changing. I wish there were more resources for pets that come out of domestic violence situations!

2. Cherie says:

I work in a dv shelter and it breaks my heart when we tell women they can’t bring their pets with them, as I know I could never leave mine, and that is a reason many people stay. Thankfully there is one shelter who has started accepting pets. A local story about a great dane who covered his owner’s body with his while her abuser tried to beat her with a hammer has mde nat’l news, and the shelter that woman fled to agreed to take he dog, her savior. We try to keep a list of agencies that will help foster a pet while a woman is in shelter but many of them are often short term, or policies change if the agency is under new management, etc. So glad you and your friends were able to help this woman. Thank you!!!

Cherie, ugh….crying thinking of the dog protecting his owner…they love so so unconditionally and are so loyal. Thank goodness they let her keep him with her! Thank you for everything you do, I can’t imagine all that you have seen and all those you have helped. I am inspired by you! 😉

3. Bobbie says:

Beautiful post and thanks to you and the others who provided assistance to this woman and her dog. I try to live my life believing that regardless of our own circumstances in life, everyone can do at least one thing to help someone else — we should all be inspired to open our hearts more after hearing about such beautiful stories like this!

Hi Bobbie, I love what you wrote and I just can’t help thinking how wonderful it would be if everyone just did one thing to help someone else….it’s so easy to get wrapped up in our own lives and I know I am certainly guilty of it, but in moments where you realize things could be so much harder … I become very grateful for the things I have and want to try to make it better for someone else…especially when they are loving their dog more than themselves! Thank you for reading and commenting 😉 xo