Let the music move you…

Forgive me for such a long time between posts. It was not intentional but computer problems wreaked havoc this week and I was left to jot down ideas in a small ratty moleskin notebook. I had a dream about the Flying Pig 10K, and it made so much sense to me that I know I would like to make it happen. Last year I ran with people who literally held me up along the route of the 5k and toward the end when I looked at Lindsey with tears and fear in my eyes and I said I just couldn’t do it she took my hand and didn’t just say ” yes you can” she showed me the way because in those moments that was part of the lesson.

I realize that this year I want to stand on my own and while I will start out with Jonesy and Joel there will come a point that I will step away, relying on no one but myself to make it to the finish line. I thought about what would be most helpful, what I could arm myself with to make sure when it gets hard I have a trick up my sleeve, an ace in the hole, and for me with  running that is always music. I would like to make a playlist of songs to listen to that are made up of choices you select for me, so that when I think I can’t, I will quickly remember why in fact I can.

I am asking that you post a comment on this blog entry, on the dog-lbs facebook page or in an e-mail to me at lori@dog-lbs.com with  a song/artist  you would like me to add to my Flying Pig play list, it can be fast, slow, funny or inspiring I promise to put them all on the list. I know I will be amazed at how the music will move me toward the finish line and teach me the lessons that will come with this experience.

Thank you all so much for your support, love and kindness. I continue to be amazed in so many ways on this journey. So next Saturday morning I will run when I can for you, for the dogs that sit in shelters alone and desperate for a way out and I will run for myself with my head up and proud of how far I have come.

Monday night Jess and I did a run walk to support the folks in Boston, I was very grateful to be able to participate.

“Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up.”
Dean Karnazes

1. Crissi Guilkey says:

Two songs that always get me going are Tom Petty’s Running down a dream and American Girl! Good luck Girl, you’re a bad ass!!!!

OMG I totally forgot about Running Down a Dream and of course American Girl is perfect pace and I can sing along in my head and forget about the pain in my feet! Thank so much Crissi!!! xo

2. lora harvey says:

My “power song” when running and hell just one my all time favs is You can do it by Ice Cube…it will bring you Panda power and lots of love!

3. Mike Dean says:

It’s a slower one, but it keeps me going: John Mayer – Heart of Life. Good luck. You do amazing things.

Mike, I have this song loaded and ready to go, it will be perfect for the walking parts especially going over the bridges! Hugs for you my friend, thank you for continuing to support this journey. xo

4. Laura says:

So many to choose from! Not sure what your music taste is, but here are some of my faves:
    U2 – Beautiful Day
    Gym Class Heroes – The Fighter
    Black Keys – Just Couldn’t Tie Me Down, Have Love Will Travel
    Mocean Worker – Shake Ya Boogie
    Daft Punk – Harder Better Faster Stronger
    Florence & The Machine – Dog Days are Over
    Rihanna – Don’t Stop the Music
    Lady Gaga – Just Dance
    AC/DC – Thunderstruck, Back in Black
    Foo Fighters – Learning to Fly, Hero, The Pretender
    REM – It’s the End of the World As We Know It
    The Heavy – How You Like Me Now?
    Alicia Keys – Superwoman (a little slow, but great message)

Holy Cow these are great Laura! New songs and ones I totally forgot how much I love! Nothing gets me fired up like ACDC! Thank you so much for taking the time to put this list together! <3

5. Naomi says:

My FAVORITE new running song – I think it just pure love. Beyonce Love on Top. It puts fire under my feet – hope you like it and that it can be a part of your journey! So inspired by your 10K!!!!

Love it! I downloaded it and I have to stop myself from listening to it! I want to save it for race day! THANK YOU! xoxo