Home

A Brief Introduction

Crossing over the finish line with Lora at my first ever 10K at the Flying Pig.

Crossing over the finish line with Lora at my first ever Flying Pig 10K race.

Welcome to the Dog – lbs project. On September 1st, 2011, I made a year long commitment to lose weight and raise money for shelter dogs sitting on death row with no voice and no hope, which was very much how I felt weighing almost 400lbs when I started this project. One year later, 92lbs lighter, hundreds of stories written of struggle and triumph, a new found love for running, and now over $10,000 raised by folks donating to the amazing dog rescue Recycled Doggies as I continue on this journey. There has been an amazing outpouring of support from the community, friends, family and complete strangers who walk the road with me, giving me the strength and encouragement to keep moving forward. In October of 2014 after becoming ill, I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and also found out I would need total knee replacement at age 44. I have decided to keep going, keep pushing myself to lose more weight before they replace my knee in fall 2016, and also continue to raise more money and awareness for shelter dogs on this journey that all started when I agreed to foster one severely abused dog named Tristan. Please take some time to read  my blog, read about Tristan and about the amazing work Recycled Doggies does for those innocent dogs that need them the most, I promise you will be as inspired as I have been by all the amazing work they do.

Current blog post: 1.19.17 Mr. Neil Liam Kneeson Noonie, welcome to the family!

*********   VIDEO  *******    ONE YEAR LATER … SEPTEMBER 1st 2012 One year later…the journey is the destination.

Over 500lbs at my HS graduation with one of my best friends D’Anna. My battle with weight has been a lifelong struggle.

Jeans I wore 72lbs ago…

Once abused, tortured and forgotten, Tristan will now only know a life of love and kindness.

tristanlori

“We have more possibilities available in each moment than we realize.”
― Thich Nhat Hanh

Please Donate for Doggies!

Parent page: Home

1. What a great way to add even more meaning to your plans. Bright blessings & much love to you on your journey! 🙂

2. Katherine says:

Wow Lori! This is inspiring – best wishes for the intense journey that awaits you. Mucho kudos and support, and will stay tuned. Will be thinking of you in the days ahead.

Cheers,
    Katherine (No. 5, I believe 😉

3. Kim P says:

Lori, I saw this post about you and Recycled Doggies. I just wanted to give you some support and let you know that yes, it is hard but doable. I will be thinking of you and praying for victory in this! I had gastric bypass 8yrs ago, it’s not the easy way out as some say. I had tried everything before that. So I fight that ugly weight fight every day and always have. Hang in there and if you ever need to talk to anyone about this stuff, shoot me an email. God Bless and YOU CAN DO THIS GIRL!!!

Thanks Kim! I really appreciate the support and encouraging words! I know it’s a long year ahead so don’t be surprised if you hear from me! We will be fighting the good fight together.:-)

Lori

4. Lillian says:

I’m going to be checking your blog and donating as the pounds melt away. Good luck.

Hey Lori,

I’ve started my own “blog” on my forum, you’re welcome to check it out.

I put it in the “News” section at the very top of the page so you don’t have to go dig through the bowels of my forum. You’re welcome to read the stories that are posted there, as well as my own dog-lbs contribution. I’ve placed links to your blog as well as to Recycled Doggies, so maybe I can steer more people to your cause.

You have to be a member to post, but you can read without registering, so whatever you’re most comfortable with is fine by me.

Let the journey begin (mine that is)

Talk to you soon.

Love,
    Moody

Thanks Moody!
      I checked out your site! I really appreciate the shout out on your site! How are you doing?

• Moody says:

Damned internet outage!!
        Just as I hit “comment”, it went AWOL on me, so I have to retype it again. Duh!!

So, I was saying I’m glad you found your way ;o)

I’m doing good, wanted to start self defense classes again today, but my knee’s been acting up again, so I couldn’t risk it. It was much better (= not painful) for a few days after swimming, but it was pretty bad again yesterday. I’ll have to figure a way to either take self defense classes on Wednesday, or go swimming on Thursday. I’ll have to check with the colleague I hitch a ride with because Thursday is the day I have to “stay late” at work, meaning I have to be there until at least 5 pm to take any calls that might come in. Once 5, I can start to log off and such, which always takes a while.
        We’ll see.

Plans for the weekend are to take the kid swimming again tomorrow though, so the workout I missed today, I will have tomorrow. Knowing my kid the way I know him, we’ll spend a few hours in the water again. We’ll be going here http://www.oceade.be/ and I’m hoping my friend will be able to come. He’ll be tempted to try out new things just to show off to her, show her he’s not afraid …. gotta love kids ;o)

Other than that, I’m feeling good.
        Feeling stronger.
        It’s probably just psychological, but that’s even more important.
        I’m not feeling miserable about not eating this or that and I’m not driving myself sick with all kinds of pills and such.

I wish you a good day and loads of fun at the pool tomorrow ;o)

Love,